Los Angeles Auto Accident Lawyer
If you get injured in a Los Angeles car accident, there are a few things you need to do. First, you need to call the police. Even if the other driver begs you not to call them, you need to do it. In fact, especially if the other driver asks you not to call the police – you need to call them. The other thing you need to do is seek immediate medical treatment. You have no idea if you have internal injuries. It’s important that you get checked out right away. Plus, your Los Angeles auto accident lawyer is going to need proof of your injuries down the road. Don’t make his job any harder than it has to be.
When the police come to the accident scene, they’ll create a police report. This report will contain valuable information such as:
- Name and insurance information for all drivers involved in the accident
- Pictures and a description of the accident scene
- A note about road conditions
- Statements made by the drivers
- Name, contact info and statements made by witnesses
- Driver's license information (including if a driver does not have a valid license)
- Information about any tickets or arrests made at the scene
This information may not be available to your lawyer later. And if it is, he may not have access to the information.
The police can also do a few things that your lawyer can’t do later on. When the police arrive on the scene, they’ll do the following things:
- Check to see if either driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Determine if anyone was violating traffic laws at the time of the accident
- Get immediate statements from the drivers and witnesses
- Ascertain if there are any videos available where the accident took place
This information can be useful in trying to prove fault. If the other driver is arrested for DUI, you can submit proof of this as evidence of liability. The same is true for speeding tickets. If someone is cited for speeding at the time of the accident, it helps show that he was at fault.
Your attorney’s goal will be to get you as much compensation as possible. He understands that you’ve suffered damages. Just keep in mind, you have to actually be injured in order to sue. It’s your lawyer’s job to make you whole. It’s not his job to make you rich. He can only demand compensation for actual damages suffered, such as:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
Call and schedule your free consultation with a Los Angeles auto accident lawyer today. Your personal injury attorney Los Angeles can give you an idea of what kinds of damages you can expect to recover.
We Handle All Types of Los Angeles Car Accidents
Your experienced Los Angeles car accident attorney can handle all types of car accidents. Although there are dozens of ways you can get into an accident, here are some of the most common types of accidents we handle:
- Rear End Accidents – These accidents are quite common. The good news is that rear-end accidents don’t usually cause serious accidents. You could be sitting at a red light when someone hits you from behind. Or, you may be in bumper to bumper traffic and the guy behind doesn’t brake fast enough. The general rule is that the rear driver is at fault in these cases. Unless there are special circumstances, you should be entitled to compensation. The defendant can argue that you caused the accident if any of the following exist:
- Your brake lights weren’t working at the time of the accident
- You slammed on your brakes
- You merged into traffic in front of him and stopped suddenly
- You stopped out of nowhere – there was no need to stop
Texting and Driving – Distracted driving may be the number one cause of all accidents. The three most common distractions are:
- Using your cell phone or texting
- Paying attention to other people on the road
- Lost in thought
There are lots of things that can distract you. Although there have been a lot of studies about distracted driving, people still do it. Despite the warnings of how dangerous it can be, 80% of all drivers still admitted to texting and driving.
Taking your eyes off the road for just 2 or 3 seconds can cause an accident. If someone is texting and driving and hits your car, you should have a claim for damages. Our firm handles many distracted driving cases. We know what it takes to prove the defendant was at fault.
- Head-On Collision – These accidents are very dangerous. When someone comes at you at full speed and his you head-on, the damage can be severe. A lot of head-on collisions involve very serious accidents. Brain injuries, as well as internal injuries, are very common in head-on collisions. Like with rear-end accidents, when it comes to head-on collisions, the driver in the wrong lane will be considered at fault. If someone crosses into your lane and hits you head-on, it’ll be hard for him to claim you were at fault.
- Wrong Way Drivers – There is no good reason to drive down a street the wrong way. If you’re lost and didn’t know it was a wrong one street, pull over. Most wrong-way accidents aren’t caused by people who are lost. They're usually caused by people who are driving recklessly or carelessly. They have no regard for human life. They could be drunk or high. Or maybe they’re trying to avoid being pulled over. Either way, they have no business driving down the road the wrong way. And you shouldn’t have to suffer injuries because of their negligence.
Your Car Accident Attorney Fights the Insurance Company
When you get in a car accident, you’ll usually have to file an insurance claim. Most of the time, your claim will be paid within a week or two. There are times, however, when the insurance company denies your claim.
Your claim could be denied for any number of reasons, including:
- The policy wasn’t valid at the time of your accident
- The policy had lapsed for non-payment
- They believe you were at fault
- They don’t think your injuries were very serious
- They think you had a pre-existing condition
If your claim is denied, your Los Angeles car accident lawyer will deal with the insurance company. He’ll call the insurance adjuster and try to get your claim paid. He’ll also file an appeal of your claim. Unless the claim was denied for an invalid policy, your attorney will have a good shot at getting your claim approved.
If the defendant’s policy wasn’t valid at the time of your accident, there’s no way they’re going to pay it. If they did, they’d go out of business. Insurance companies can’t afford to honor claims against canceled policies.
If the insurance company refuses to pay your claim, your attorney will file a lawsuit on your behalf. He’ll make sure he names all potential defendants, including:
- The driver
- His insurance company
- Any third party involved in the accident
- The city if poor road conditions caused the accident
- Car manufacturer if there was a defect with either vehicle
Your attorney will name these parties early on. If you don’t name them in your initial suit, you’ll be prevented from adding them later.
Types of Injuries Our Los Angeles Accident Attorneys Handle
Just like our lawyers handle all types of accidents, we also handle all types of injuries. Depending on the type of accident, you could suffer different types of injuries. For example, a rear end accident is famous for causing whiplash. A head-on collision may cause brain and head injuries. It all depends on the magnitude of the impact.
Some of the more common injuries caused by car accidents are:
- Head Injuries: One of the most dangerous types of head injuries is a traumatic brain injury. If you’re involved in a serious fall or head-on collision, you’ll probably suffer some kind of brain injury. The most serious type of brain injury is a traumatic brain injury. The symptoms of a traumatic brain injury (TBI) include:
- Vision loss
- Memory issues
- Inability to concentrate
Your lawyer will do his best to get you the compensation you deserve for your TBI. Because a TBI can affect you for the rest of your life, this compensation may be significant.
- Neck Injuries: Rear-end accidents often cause neck injuries. The most common type of injury is whiplash. Whiplash is caused when your neck is stretched too far in one direction. Whiplash usually heals itself in a few days or weeks. There is no way to prove you have whiplash. It doesn’t show up on x-rays or MRIs. The only way to prove you have it is to get testimony from your doctor. He can attest that you had all the symptoms of whiplash. He can confirm that you diagnosed you with this injury.
- Back Injuries: Given the impact suffered in most accidents, it’s no surprise that you can hurt your back. You may suffer disc issues such as herniations or displacement. You could also experience muscle strains. Depending on the type of back injury you suffer, you may need surgery. You’ll more than likely need physical therapy as well. Most back injuries will cause you to miss a few weeks or months from work. Your personal injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated for this time.
- Internal Injuries: The scary thing about internal injuries is that you don’t know you have them. You can’t see them. You can’t touch them. The only way to know for sure if you have internal injuries is to go to the hospital. They can do the necessary tests to determine if you have internal injuries. They’ll use x-rays, MRI and ultrasounds to make this determination. Some common internal injuries include:
- Internal bleeding
- Punctured lungs
- Organ damage
If you don’t get your internal injuries treated right away, they can be deadly. It’s crucial that you always seek medical treatment immediately following a car accident.
- Facial Disfigurement: A lot of car accidents can cause facial disfigurement. This includes things like burns and facial lacerations. If you’re in the front seat of a car involved in an accident, you may suffer facial disfigurement. Most times, this requires multiple surgeries to correct. It also involves a lot of physical pain and mental anguish. Your Los Angeles car accident lawyer will make sure you are compensated for these injuries.
Los Angeles Auto Accidents Resulting in Death
Sadly, a lot of car accidents can be fatal. If your injuries are serious enough, you may not recover. If this is the case, your family will have a claim for wrongful death. Our Los Angeles car accident attorneys are able to handle your wrongful death claim.
In California, the following people can file a wrongful death claim:
- The victim’s spouse
- The victim’s domestic partner
- the deceased’s children
- If there is no spouse of children, the decedent’s parents can file a claim
When you file a wrongful death claim, your attorney is going to demand two things:
- Compensation for the family’s loss of their loved one
- Damages for the financial losses caused by the victim’s death
The damages in a normal car accident claim are meant to reimburse the accident victim. Your Los Angeles car accident lawyer will demand that the driver be reimbursed for medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
In a wrongful death claim, your lawyer will be asking for the following damages:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Medical and hospital bills for the decedent
- Lost income and lost future income for the person who died
- The value of household services the decedent provided when he was alive
- the loss of future financial support he would’ve provided
- The loss of love and companionship the family have suffered
In order to prove that the defendant is liable for your loved one’s death, you’ll have to prove negligence. In order to prove that the defendant was negligent, your Los Angeles car accident lawyer will have to prove the following four (4) elements:
- The defendant owed the victim a duty of care
- He breached this duty
- the victim suffered injuries (in this case, death)
- The accident is what caused his death
It’s not going to be difficult to prove that your loved one died. And as for a duty of care, every driver owes a duty of care to every other driver on the road. We have to follow all traffic rules and exercise care when behind the wheel.
The difficult part of a wrongful death case is proving causation. Just like in any other car accident claim, you have to prove that the defendant caused the accident. The problem is here, you don’t have a victim to tell his side of the story. Sadly, he has died.
When it comes to wrongful death claims, judges and juries are very sympathetic. Attorneys and insurance companies know this. For this reason, they’re not going to want to go to trial. Most wrongful death claims are settled out of court. Your Los Angeles car accident attorney will fight hard to settle your case.
Contact a Skilled Los Angeles Auto Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident, you need help. After you seek medical treatment, you need to contact a skilled Los Angeles auto accident lawyer. You can schedule your free consultation right away.
During your consultation, you can ask your attorney any questions you may have. He’ll review your case and give you an idea of what it may be worth. For your free initial consultation, remember to bring the following:
- Any accident or police reports
- Pictures of the accident
- Your medical records for your injuries
- Any bills you’ve received in relation to your accident
- Contact information for any witnesses
- Any correspondence you’ve received from the defendant, his lawyer or his insurance company
Your lawyer will need all of this information to prepare your case.
You have to realize the defendant will have a team of lawyers working for him. He’ll have his own attorney. The insurance company will have their own attorneys. You don’t want to go up against these people yourself. You’re better off if you have an experienced attorney on your side.
Let one of the experienced car accident attorneys at McDonald Worley in Los Angeles handle your claim. He’ll make sure you aren’t taken advantage of. He’ll also fight to get you justice. He’ll go up against the defendant’s lawyers to get you the compensation you deserve.
The initial consultation is absolutely free. You get to discuss your case with someone who can offer the peace of mind you need right now. And remember – you don’t pay a dime until you win your case.