Personal Injury Attorney Los Angeles
Living in California is great. You have sunshine 250 days a year. You’re near so many amazing landmarks and fun places to take your family. But even people in California are at risk of getting hurt in an accident. In fact, if you live in any busy city, you’re more at risk than most people.
You could be shopping in an outdoor mall and fall. Or, your child could get hurt while at daycare. There's no limit to the things that could happen to you and your family. You can’t live your life being afraid of this. You just have to make sure you know what to do if something does happen.
Technically, if you get hurt in an accident, you can handle it yourself. There’s nothing stopping you from pursuing a claim against the defendant. However, you’re always better off if you have an experienced Los Angeles personal injury attorney by your side.
The insurance company will take you more seriously if you’re represented. Not to mention that attorneys are specially trained to handle these cases. They know what evidence you need to win your case. They know how to negotiate with the insurance companies to get their clients fair settlements.
If you’ve been hurt at the hands of someone else, you need to call a personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles. Your lawyer will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
Skilled Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorneys at McDonald Worley Will Fight for You
Usually, if you suffer a personal injury, you’ll file a claim against the defendant’s insurance company. The insurance company pays your claim within a week or so. However, there are times when your claim may be denied. If this happens, there are certain things you need to do. You don’t want to risk losing your claim all together.
The insurance company may deny your claim for several reasons:
- The policy wasn’t valid at the time of your accident
- The policy had lapsed for non-payment
- They think you’re at fault
- They don’t believe your injuries are legitimate
- They think you’re demanding too much money in your claim
If your claim is denied, your personal injury lawyer can file an appeal. He’ll talk to the insurance adjuster and try to get your claim paid. Depending on the reason, he may be able to do this. Now, no insurance company is going to pay a claim out on an expired policy. They don’t have to. And, if they did, they’d go out of business.
If the insurance company refuses to honor your claim, your personal injury attorney will file a lawsuit on your behalf. The same is true if the defendant has no insurance at all. A personal lawsuit has it’s risk:
- You could lose
- The defendant may have no assets and you’re left with a worthless judgment
- It takes a long time to resolve
- It can be expensive
For all of these reasons, your attorney will work hard to settle your case. Nobody wants to go to the trouble of a trial. Trials take too long and are expensive. And, there is a chance you could lose. Rather than take these risks, you’re better off settling.
Call and schedule a consultation with a personal injury attorney at McDonald Worley in Los Angeles. They have experienced lawyers who can help you get the compensation you deserve.
The Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorneys at McDonald Worley Handle a Variety of Injury Cases
The great thing about the personal injury attorneys at McDonald Worley in Los Angeles is that they handle all sorts of cases. Over the years, their team has seen it all. No matter what kind of injury you’ve suffered, they can get you justice.
Some of the types of personal injury cases they handle include, but aren’t limited to, the following:
- Car accidents – If you’re involved in a car accident, you could suffer some serious injuries. You may be out of work for a while. If this is the case, you’re entitled to compensation. You shouldn’t have to pay medical bills or lose income because of someone else’s negligence. The person responsible for your accident will be held accountable for all of your damages. Your personal injury lawyer will fight hard to get you this compensation. He’ll help negotiate your insurance claim. And, if necessary, he’ll file a lawsuit on your behalf.
- Truck accidents – Truck accidents are some of the most dangerous on the road. When a tractor trailer hits a passenger vehicle, the results could be disastrous. In fact, truck accidents are responsible for more fatalities on average than any other type of traffic accident. Trucks are so large and heavy, that a car doesn’t stand a chance against them. And because trucks are often carrying large loads, they are more prone to accidents than other types of vehicles. If you get into a truck accident, you may have a claim against the driver, his employer and their insurance companies.
- Motorcycle accidents – In motorcycle accidents, there is nothing that stands between you and the road. All you have is a plastic helmet. In general, cars don’t pay as much attention to motorcycles as they should. It’s not intentional. They just aren’t used to seeing them on the road. On top of this, many car drivers have a bias against motorcycle riders. They think they’re reckless and a danger to the road. For this reason, your motorcycle accident attorney will have to fight harder to prove causation.
- Bicycle accidents - A lot of people are riding their bikes these days. In an effort to be healthy and kind to the environment, people all over are “going green.” This means more riders are on the road. Cars really don’t pay enough attention to cyclists. This is evidenced by the fact that a lot of towns have special initiatives to increase driver’s care toward cyclists. If you get hit while riding your bike, you will suffer serious, even life-threatening injuries. The driver who hit you need to be held accountable. Your Los Angeles bicycle accident injury attorney will make sure they are.
- Pedestrian accidents – If you’re on foot, you have to be mindful of cars. This is because most drivers don’t pay attention to you. Despite obvious crosswalks, a lot of drivers don’t notice pedestrians crossing the road. Clearly, a human being doesn’t hold a candle against a moving vehicle. The impact alone could kill them. If you’re involved in a pedestrian accident, you’ll suffer serious injuries. You could be in the hospital for days or weeks. You may need surgery and physical therapy. The defendant needs to be responsible for these injuries.
- Premises liability cases and dog bites – If you get hurt on someone else’s property, you’ll have a premise’s liability claim. People are required to keep their homes and businesses safe for visitors. If they don’t, people can get hurt. When this happens, the property owners must be held responsible. The same is true for dog owners. If you get bit by someone’s dog, you may have a claim against them. It depends on the situation and the dog. Your personal injury attorney will review your case and let you know what it may be worth.
- Nursing home abuse – When our parents get too old for us to care for them, we may put them into a nursing home. When we do this, we expect they’ll be kept safe and secure. Nurses and healthcare professionals are supposed to take care of our loved ones. Sadly, more than a few nursing home residents become the victim of abuse. This abuse could take the form of physical, mental or emotional abuse. Some cases even involve financial abuse. It can be at the hands of a staff member or another resident. The nursing home is required to make sure your loved one is protected from these things.
- Dangerous drugs – When you turn on your television, you can barely go a half hour without seeing another commercial for a medication. New drugs are put on the market all the time. Some don’t even need to undergo full FDA approval. Although the drug marketers claim they warn us of all their dangerous side effects, this doesn’t make the drugs safe. There are drugs that can hurt people. Either the drug itself is dangerous or it can cause deadly interactions with other medications. The manufacturer and distributor can both be held accountable.
- Defective products – If your child or loved one gets hurt by a defective product, you’re going to need a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer. Most defective product cases involve children’s toys, cars and tools. These products can be dangerous even if made properly. But when they’re not made properly, they can cause serious bodily injury or even wrongful death. Depending on the type of product, the manufacturer could be held strictly liable. This means they have to pay whether they knew their product was dangerous or not.
- Mesothelioma – Mesothelioma is a form of cancers caused by exposure to asbestos. A diagnosis of mesothelioma is equivalent to a death sentence. Most patients die within the first year. None live beyond 5 years except the lucky few. These cases were treated as class actions for many years. Now that asbestos is out of most buildings and products, they are being handled on an individual basis. If your loved one is dying from mesothelioma, you may have a legal claim. Your claim could be against his employer, a city or even a private company.
It Doesn’t Matter What Type of Personal Injury You’ve Suffered
If you’ve been in any sort of accident, chances are you’ve some pretty serious injuries. Some injuries require surgery and physical therapy. Others heal themselves rather quickly. It makes sense that you’ll receive more money if your personal injuries are more serious.
Los Angeles personal injury attorneys can get you compensation for all sorts of personal injuries, including:
- Back injuries – Given the impact suffered in most accidents, it’s no surprise that you can hurt your back. You may suffer disc issues such as herniations or displacement. You could also experience muscle strains. Depending on the type of back injury you suffer, you may need surgery. You’ll more than likely need physical therapy as well. Most back injuries will cause you to miss a few weeks or months from work. Your personal injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated for this time.
- Brain Injuries – If you’re involved in a serious fall or head on collision, you’ll probably suffer some kind of brain injury. The most serious type of brain injury is a traumatic brain injury. The symptoms of a traumatic brain injury (TBI) include:
- Vision loss
- Memory issues
- Inability to concentrate
Your lawyer will do his best to get you the compensation you deserve for your TBI. Because a TBI can affect you for the rest of your life, this compensation may be significant.
- Broken Bones – A lot of people suffer broken bones when they get into an accident. Just the impact alone can lead to broken legs and arms. If broken bones are the worst of your injuries, you should be thankful. However, broken bones also require surgery and physical therapy. It could be months before you’re back on your feet.
- Disability – If your injuries are serious enough, you may never be able to work again. Even if you were just working for minimum wage, you’ll lose thousands of dollars over the course of a lifetime. To qualify for disability, your lawyer will have to show that you are unable to work due to your injuries. He’ll look at the difference between what you would have earned, versus what you’ll earn on disability. The defendant should be held responsible for this difference.
- PTSD – Very serious accidents can cause PTSD. PTSD stands for post-traumatic stress disorder. This is when someone suffers mental and emotional anguish following an accident. The anxiety and depression caused by reliving your accident can be haunting. Your personal injury lawyer will fight to get you compensation for your PTSD. PTSD can be hard to prove. You may need doctors and psychiatrists to testify that you have the disorder.
You Have Rights as a Los Angeles Accident Victim
If you get injured in an accident, you have a right to be compensated for your injuries. The defendant is responsible to cover your:
- Medical Bills – You should be reimbursed for your current and future medical bills. If you are going to need long-term care, your personal injury lawyer will demand that you be compensated for it.
- Lost Wages – If you miss time from work, you deserve to be paid for it. This could be time you’ve missed due to the accident. It also can represent income you’re going to lose in the future due to your permanent injuries.
- Pain and Suffering – If you experience a great deal of pain due to your injuries, you can demand damages. You can also demand that you be compensated for mental and emotional anguish.
Your Los Angeles personal injury attorney will demand that you be compensated for all of your damages. Keep in mind, he’ll probably negotiate an out of court settlement. This means that you may not receive as much as you want. However, in the long run, it’s in your best interests. You’ll save the expense and time of a trial.
The insurance company wants to settle too. They may wait until the last minute, but they don’t want to go to court. Usually, they’ll make a low-ball offer. Your attorney will come back with a higher offer. They’ll end up meeting somewhere in between.
Contact a Los Angeles Personal Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
If you’ve been injured in any sort of accident, you need to contact a Los Angeles personal injury lawyer. Call and schedule your free initial consultation. You can sit down with an experienced attorney who can answer any of your questions. He can also let you know what your case may be worth.
For your first meeting, try to bring the following information with you:
- Any accident or police reports
- Pictures of the accident
- Your medical records for your injuries
- Any bills you’ve received in relation to your accident
- Contact information for any witnesses
- Any correspondence you’ve received from the defendant, his lawyer or his insurance company
Your attorney will reach out to the other side and try to negotiate an early settlement. If he can’t convince them to settle, he’ll proceed with your legal claim.
You can bet the defendant will have attorneys working for them. You don’t want them to try to take advantage of you. It’s in your best interest to have a skilled personal injury attorney by your side. Your attorney will fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
827 Moraga Drive
Los Angeles, CA 90049