Hernia Mesh Injury Attorney
Patients who develop hernia mesh infection or other complications of hernia mesh may have a legal claim. Some manufacturers of hernia surgery mesh have been accused of failing to adequately test their products before putting them on the market and/or failing to warn about possible hernia mesh problems. If a hernia mesh surgery has caused you injury contact an attorney to schedule a free consultation.
Table of Contents
What is Hernia Mesh?
Hernia mesh is a common treatment option used to treat hernias, which occur when an organ or tissue is pushed through an opening or weakness of connective tissue or muscle. Hernias can occur at the abdominal wall, in the groin area or belly button, or at an incision site.
Hernia surgery mesh is a medical device that provides additional support to the damaged or weakened tissue, decreasing the chance of the hernia coming back.
Types of Mesh Used in Hernia Surgery
Depending on the type of mesh used in hernia surgery, the hernia mesh may be absorbable or non-absorbable by the human body.
- Absorbable mesh is not meant to provide long-term support to the hernia site; instead, new tissue growth is intended to form as the hernia mesh material degrades, providing strength to the site.
- Non-absorbable mesh is considered to be a permanent implant to provide long-term support to the hernia site.
Hernia mesh material may consist of animal tissue or synthetic materials.
- Animal-derived hernia surgery mesh is made of animal tissue that has been processed and disinfected so that it can be used as a medical device. Typically, the animal-derived hernia mesh implants are sourced from pigs or cows and are absorbable by the body.
- Synthetic hernia mesh implants may consist of knitted or non-knitted sheets. They may be made up of absorbable, non-absorbable or a combination of absorbable and non-absorbable hernia mesh material.
Complications of Hernia Mesh
Hernia mesh problems may arise following surgery. Potential complications of hernia mesh include:
- Hernia mesh erosion
- Hernia mesh pain
- Organ perforation
- Mesh migration
- Hernia mesh infection
- Tenderness at the implant site
- Hernia mesh shrinkage
- Nerve damage
- Autoimmune reactions
- Hernia recurrence
- Hernia mesh rejection
Hernia Mesh Failure
Hernia mesh failure symptoms may occur up to five years after the device is implanted, according to a recent study published in JAMA Surgery. The researchers found that the rate of hernia mesh problems increased over the five-year period after a patient receives hernia mesh surgery. Many patients required hernia mesh revision surgery to treat hernia mesh complications..
Symptoms of Hernia Mesh Infection
If you recently received hernia mesh surgery, it is important to monitor the surgical site for symptoms of hernia mesh infection. Hernia mesh infection symptoms may include:
- Warmth at the hernia mesh surgical site
- Failure to heal
- Chronic pain
- Dental problems
- Flu-like symptoms such as chills, fever, nausea or vomiting
If you have suffered hernia mesh complications and had to undergo hernia mesh revision surgery, you may qualify to file a lawsuit to seek compensation for your injuries. A growing number of plaintiffs have already taken legal action seeking to hold hernia mesh manufacturers accountable for the safety of their products.
Hernia Mesh Recalls
Several manufacturers of surgical mesh have issued recalls due to a high rate of adverse events or poor performance associated with the devices.
Ethicon, Atrium Medical Corporation, and Bard Davol are among the hernia surgery mesh manufacturers that have issued recalls of their products. Some of the products that have been recalled for hernia mesh problems include:
- Atrium C-QUR Surgical Mesh
- Bard Composix Kugel Hernia Patch.
- Ethicon Physiomesh Hernia Mesh
- Ethicon Proceed Hernia Mesh
According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, many complications of hernia mesh were associated with products that have already been recalled.
Know Your Legal Rights
If you required a hernia mesh repair or revision surgery, you may have a legal claim. Patients who had to undergo hernia mesh revision surgery to address complications have filed lawsuits against hernia mesh manufacturers, alleging that the medical device is poorly designed and that the manufacturers failed to warn about complications of hernia mesh.
Contact the Product Liability Lawyers at McDonald Worley for a Free Case Evaluation
You may be eligible to file a hernia mesh lawsuit to seek compensation for your medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, and any other injuries you suffered. Contact a hernia mesh injury attorney who will fight for you every step of the way to get the compensation you deserve.