Safety Tips for Bicyclists in Houston
It is becoming more common for people to ride their bicycles to work these days. Whether it’s to lose weight or because it’s good for the environment, you may choose to ride your car to and from work rather than drive or take the bus. With the number of cars on the roads these days, it’s always a good idea to ride your bike. You just have to make sure you do it safely. Otherwise, you could end up getting hurt. You could even be involved in a bicycle accident.
Most bicycle accidents are the result of poor safety. This may be on the part of the cyclist or the car driver. Yes, car drivers should pay more attention to the road. If they keep an eye out for bicyclists, chances are, they won’t get into a bicycle accident. Other accidents are caused by the cyclist. They may dart out into traffic or ignore the traffic rules.
If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident in Houston, Texas, you need to reach out to a Houston bicycle accident attorney.
Houston Bicycle Accident Lawyers Know How Important it is to Share the Road
When it comes to bikes and motorcycles, it’s important that people understand how important it is to share the road. In fact, there are even times when counties have special events to remind people to share the road with cyclists. Still, people end up getting into bicycle accidents every day. Sadly, these types of accidents usually cause pretty serious injuries. This is why it’s so important that you follow basic safety tips when riding your bike in Houston.
Some of the most important safety tips for driving your bicycle in Houston are:
- Don’t weave in and out of traffic.
- You need to respect and follow the traffic rules. Although you won’t be driving directly in automobile traffic, it’s important that you refrain from weaving. All this does is increase your chances of getting hit by a car. It also frustrates car drivers and makes them less empathetic to bikers on the road.
- Always use hand signals.
- The only way you can tell a driver or cyclist that you intend to turn is to use hand signals. These are very basic. Every cyclist should be familiar with these hand signals. Use them!
- Never ride while you’re distracted.
- If you aren’t paying attention to the road, you will get hurt. Whether you drive into traffic or a street sign, you will be injured. Always pay attention to what you’re doing. There’s no way you can safely ride your bike and text at the same time.
- Don’t ride under the influence.
- Riding a bike may seem safe than driving a car, but the same rules still apply. You should never ride your bike when you’ve been drinking or taking drugs. All this will do is increase your chances of getting hurt or killed. It also increases the chance that you’ll hurt or kill an innocent third party.
- Avoid the door zone.
- Always stay at least 3-feet away from the door zone. This is the part of the road where cars are opening their doors. Most people don’t check to see if a biker is coming along when they open their car doors.
- Keep your bike safe.
- Make sure you perform basic maintenance on your bicycle. This includes the tires, lights, wheels and signals.
If you follow these safety tips, you’ll be less likely to get into a bicycle accident. The whole point is to make your life healthier. An accident will do nothing but make your life miserable.
Contact a Houston Bicycle Accident Attorney Today
If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident, you’ll need to call an experienced Houston bicycle accident attorney. Your attorney will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. He’ll negotiate with the defendant’s insurance company to get your claim paid. If they refuse to pay the claim, you will have no choice but to file a lawsuit.
When you meet with your lawyer for the first time, make sure to bring the following:
- A police report or accident report
- Pictures of the scene
- Pictures of your bicycle and your injuries
- Medical records for your accident
- Any witness statements
- The insurance and contact information for the other driver or rider involved
Call and schedule your free initial consultation today. It costs you nothing and gives you the chance to meet with an attorney who can help. He can also give you an idea of what your case may be worth. And remember – you pay nothing until you settle your claim!