Some of the most confusing cases are multi-car accidents. When you have three or more cars involved in an accident, you’ll typically have at least three versions of what happened. Every driver has a different story. They all point the finger at someone else. Nobody ever wants to admit that they’re at fault. Part of this is because of pride. But a larger part is because nobody wants to be held liable in a civil suit.
When you are dealing with a multi-car accident, you’re probably dealing with several insurance companies. Every insurance adjuster is going to claim the other drivers were at fault.. You may not even be sure which company to file your claim with. It’s a good idea to rely on an experienced car wreck attorney in Houston when this happens. If you don’t file against the right party, you may end up with nothing.
If your damages aren’t paid by the insurance companies, you’ll have no choice but to file a civil suit against the other drivers. The question is: who do you file suit against? Who is responsible for your injuries? Your Houston car accident lawyer can help you figure this out..
Your Houston Car Accident Attorney Has Handled Plenty of Cases Just Like Yours
If you’re in a multi-car accident, chances are you suffered some pretty serious injuries.. When you’re hit by several cars, you’ll be shot like a pinball across the highway. Odds are, you won’t remember exactly what happened. The last thing you’re paying attention to during an accident are the other drivers. You’re focused on stopping your car and surviving the accident.
Texas is not a no-fault state. This means that any driver involved in an accident may be held partly at fault. This also means you’ll have multiple parties filing claims in this type of accident. There are certain rules that apply when determining fault in a multi-accident case:
- The rear driver is almost always at fault.. This is because the rear driver has the last possible chance of avoiding the collision. Also, the rear driver has a full view of the scene. They can see what’s going on in front of them.
- The front driver is rarely held at fault. Unless he did something like suddenly slam on his brakes, the front driver will usually not be liable for injuries to the other drivers.
- An investigation will be conducted to determine who is at fault.
In this day and age, there are people who specialize in accident recreations. These people have years of experience doing nothing but determining fault in accidents such as yours. They use things like physics to figure out which driver was at fault. We won’t get into the details here, but your car wreck attorney will hire one of these experts to prove that you were not at fault.
A Houston Car Wreck Attorney Will Use All Tools Available to Him to Determine Fault
When you first meet with your car wreck attorney in Houston, tell him exactly what happened in your accident. If you think you may have been partly at fault, let him know. This information will come out at some point during your case. Your attorney would rather know about it upfront than be blindsided later.
Some of the ways your car wreck attorney will prove fault include:
- Expert testimony – Your lawyer will hire experts who handle accident recreations. They will use affidavits and testimony from people who specialize in this area.
- Eye witness testimony – One reason it’s important to always call the police following your accident is because of the police report. This report will have witness statements. It will also have contact information for any eye witnesses. Your attorney will contact these witnesses and ask them what they saw. This can help prove who was at fault in your case.
- Video – Many cars are now equipped with dashcams. These videos can be very helpful in determining fault in a multi-car accident. Your lawyer will also check to see if anyone captured the accident on their cell phones.
- Statements made by the other drivers – The police will get a statement from the other drivers at the scene. This information can be helpful in determining fault in a multi-car accident.
Contact a Car Wreck Attorney in Houston Today
If you’ve been injured in a multi-car accident, you should contact a car wreck attorney at McDonald Worley today. Your attorney can help prove your injuries. He can also help determine who was at fault in your case. Your initial consultation is free and you pay nothing unless you win your case.