How Hard is it To Prove Permanent Disability After Your Houston Car Accident?
Most people who get into a car accident recover from their injuries rather quickly. Even for people who suffer serious injuries, they’re usually back to work within a few months. Once they get the surgery they need and physical therapy, they can return to work. For others, things don’t work out this well. If you suffer certain types of injuries in your Houston car accident, you may never be able to work again. This means you may be entitled to special damages. In order to prove permanent disability, however, it’s a good idea to retain an experienced car wreck lawyer in Houston.
If you find that you can no longer work as a result of your car accident, you may qualify for permanent disability. This means that you’ll never earn the kind of money you would have if you returned to work full-time. Your Houston car accident lawyer will demand that the defendant be held responsible for this loss..
What Kinds of Damages Will Your Houston Car Accident Demand?
The whole point of filing a lawsuit is to get paid for your damages.. Even if your accident is minor, there is a chance that you’ll have experienced a loss. If you suffer serious injuries, your Houston car accident lawyer will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. To do this, they need to be able to prove your damages. Some of these will include the following:
- Medical Bills: You shouldn’t be responsible for medical bills if you didn’t cause the accident. If you end up on disability, you could have hundreds of thousands in medical bills. Your primary insurance carrier can demand reimbursement for anything they’ve covered. And you can demand reimbursement for anything you paid out of pocket.
- Lost Wages: If you are permanently disabled, you can ask for any lost wages you suffered prior to your determination of being disabled. After that, you would have to demand permanent disability damages.
- Property Damage: If you’re left in that bad of shape, your car may be destroyed. The defendant should be liable for any repairs.
- Pain and Suffering: As you can imagine, if you’re left disabled, you probably dealt with a lot of pain and suffering. You can demand compensation for this.
- Permanent Disability: If you’re left permanently disabled, you won’t be able to earn the same kind of money as you did before. You can demand the difference between what you would’ve earned and what you’ll get on disability.
How Do You Prove Permanent Disability?
Thankfully, most car accidents don’t leave their victims permanently disabled.. Even if someone is seriously injured in a crash, they are treated for their injuries and move on. However, there are times when someone just can’t recover from their injuries. Some of the types of injuries that can leave someone permanently disabled are:
- Back injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Facial disfigurement
In order to prove that you’re permanently disabled, you need to prove that you can no longer work. Your Houston car accident lawyer can do this in a few ways.. First, they can show that you’ve qualified for state disability. It is very hard to do this. The state is very strict about proving that you’re unable to work. So, if your attorney can show that you’ve overcome this hurdle, it will serve as proof that you really are disabled.
The other thing you can do is get an expert to testify as to your disability. You may have to wait a year or longer to qualify for state disability. If this is the case, you may not want to wait that long to settle your case. Your attorney can retain experts that are able to prove permanent disability. If this is the case, you can work toward settling your case sooner rather than later.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer in Houston Right Away
If you’re injured to the point where you end up disabled, you probably have a significant claim for damages. Call and talk to an experienced accident injury attorney in Houston. They can help you qualify for disability. They can also help you get the compensation you deserve.
Call today and schedule your initial consultation. It’s free and you won’t pay a dime until you settle or win your case. Your odds of recovering damages is higher if you have a skilled injury attorney by your side.