The Police in Houston See More than Their Fair Share of Car Accidents This Time of Year
The police in Houston have their hands full when it comes to car accidents this time of year. With so many additional people on the road, there are more people who get into accidents. Some people aren’t used to traveling on busy roads. Or, they’re distracted by all of the things they’re trying to get done in time for the holidays.
Just because the police are busier than normal doesn’t mean you should handle your car accident any differently than you normally would. You may be tempted to skip calling the cops because you’re extremely busy. The other driver may ask you to agree not to call the cops. No matter how tempting this may be, don’t make that mistake.
In order to recover the damages you deserve, your Houston, Texas car accident lawyer is going to need the police report. It’s the best way for them to prove your case. So, follow the steps outlined below to make sure that you preserve your claim.
What Steps Should You Take After Your Car Accident This Holiday Season in Houston?
If you get into an accident during this holiday season, you’re going to be frustrated and angry. But, just because it’s the holidays, doesn’t mean you should handle the accident any differently. You still need to do the same three things after the accident:
- Call the police. The first thing you need to do – no matter what- is call the police. They can make the difference between winning and losing your case. When they come out to the accident scene, they’ll take control. They’ll check to see if anyone is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. They’ll also make sure a thorough investigation is done. Finally, they’ll prepare and provide you with a police report. This will come in handy when it comes time to prove fault.
- Seek medical treatment immediately. Nobody wants to go to the hospital. Spending hours in the emergency room is the last thing anyone wants to do. But you don’t have a choice. For one, you need to make sure you’re okay. Second, you have to get proof that you were hurt. The best way to do this is with medical records.
- Call an experienced car accident lawyer in Houston.. No matter if you’ve been in a car accident before, you really need a competent lawyer by your side.. They will make sure the insurance company doesn’t take advantage of you. They’ll also make sure your case is handled properly from the start..
What Kind of Damages Will Your Houston Car Accident Lawyer Demand?
The best thing about having a Houston car accident lawyer is that they have your back.. Their goal is to prove that you deserve compensation for your injuries. Some of the damages that your car accident lawyer is going to ask for includes:
- Medical bills – We already said you need to go to the hospital. This is expensive. Even if your insurance covers some or most of your bills, you’ll still have out of pocket costs. And, your personal health insurance company is going to want to be reimbursed for any medical bills they covered.
- Lost Wages – Most people who are injured in a car accident miss some time from work.. The defendant is liable for any lost wages you suffer.
- Property Damage – If your car is damaged or even destroyed, the defendant should have to pay for that. Make sure you keep copies of any repairs you have done.
- Pain and Suffering – If your injuries are serious, then you may be entitled to pain and suffering. It is just a matter of whether you can prove it.
After You Call the Police in Houston, Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
The police in Houston understand that things heat up during the holidays.. They have been through it before. They know how many more car accidents happen during these months.. So do Houston car accident lawyers.. They understand that you’re more likely to get injured in a car crash this time of year.
If you do get hurt in any sort of car accident, you need help.. Let an experienced car accident lawyer help you.. They’ll negotiate with the insurance carrier for you. They’ll also make sure your claim is handled properly from the start.
Call today and arrange to meet with one of our skilled injury attorneys in Houston. They’ll sit down and explain the legal process for you. They can also give you an idea of what your case might be worth.