What Happens if You Get into a Car Accident While Traveling Out of Town This Holiday Season?

More people are traveling out of town during the holidays than at any other time of year. Some people go to visit family. Other people reserve this time of year to go on vacation. You’re off from work and the kids are out of school for a couple of weeks. It’s the ideal time to pack up the car and head out on the road.

With so many more people on the road, that means you’re at a greater risk of getting into a car accident.. Once you leave the state of Texas, you’re on your own. You may not be familiar with the traffic laws in other states. You may not be that experienced with driving in holiday traffic. These things, combined with the fact that thousands of extra people are on the road, can spell a recipe for disaster.

If you do get into an accident out of state, there are a few things you need to know.. You still need to do the same three things after the accident:

  • Call the police. Never agree to not call the cops. You have no idea if the other driver is who they say they are. They could’ve given you fake insurance information. The only way to know for sure is to let the police do their job. They’ll also do a thorough investigation to try to piece together what really happened. And they’ll provide you with a copy of their police report. This will help your Houston, Texas accident lawyer prove your case.
  • Seek medical treatment immediately. It doesn’t matter if you’re out of town. The cops will make sure the ambulance takes you to the hospital. You need to get medical treatment so you know you’re okay.. You also need to get proof that you were injured. The best way to do that is with medical records.
  • Call an experienced car accident lawyer in Houston.. You may have to eventually hire an out of state attorney. But that isn’t always the case. Your Houston car accident lawyer may be able to settle your case with the insurance company.. If that happens, you won’t actually need to file suit.

As long as you do these things, you should be okay. The last thing you want to do is make your lawyer’s job harder than it has to be.

What Kind of Damages Will Your Houston Car Accident Lawyer Demand?

The hardest part about being in an out of state accident is not having your local attorney nearby. However, you can call them from the road. Let them know what happened. They can get in touch with the insurance company right away. If they can’t get your claim paid and you need to file suit, so be it. They can refer you to a local attorney in the state where the crash took place.

Either way, your lawyer is going to demand damages after your car accident. This may include any or all of the following:

  • Medical bills – No matter where the crash takes place, you shouldn’t have to be responsible for your medical records. Whoever caused the crash should be. This includes hospital bills and copays. It may also include travel back and forth to physical therapy and other medical appointments.
  • Lost Wages – Although it’s the holidays and you may already have time off, you can still demand compensation for lost wages. It’s just important that you be able to prove you missed time and that this time was without pay.
  • Property Damage – Your car is going to be damaged in the crash. The defendant needs to be held responsible for this damage..
  • Pain and Suffering – If you are in a lot of pain, you can demand pain and suffering. These damages may actually make up the lion’s share of your case.

Contact an Attorney if You Were in a Car Accident While Traveling Out of Town

The holiday season is supposed to be a time of joy. People take to the road and go to visit family and friends. They’re forced to share the road with thousands of other motorists doing the same thing. This may mean you’ll encounter a car accident while out of state..

If you do get injured while traveling out of town, things can get complicated. Let our Houston accident law firm make them simpler. Call today and set up a free consultation. This way, you can take the time to really talk about your case with someone who knows how the legal process works.


Unless we win!

Primary Contact Form
Scroll to Top