What Should You Do if You’re Injured at a Holiday Event in Houston this Year?
If you’re anything like most people, you are very busy when the holidays roll around in December. You may go to holiday events at work, school or even at church. You have no reason to think that you’re going to get injured at a holiday event. After all, you’ve probably been going there for most of your life.
What do you do if, this year, something at the event goes wrong? You could slip and fall while at the party.. There could be a piece of furniture of ceiling tile that falls and hits you on the head. You could even get food poisoning while at the event. If any of these things happen, you’re going to need to call an experienced personal injury lawyer in Houston.
Nobody ever wants to think about these kinds of things happening, especially during the holidays. And, if you know the person or organization hosting the event, you probably don’t want to file a legal claim. However, most of these events are covered by insurance so, chances are, the defendant won’t be held personally liable.
In order to recover at all, your Houston, TX injury lawyer is going to have to prove that the defendant was negligent.
Your Houston Injury Attorney Has to Prove Negligence
Depending on where your event took place, your attorney will have to show that they were negligent in order for you to recover. This means they’ll have to prove negligence. Basically, your attorney will have to show that the company hosting the event didn’t take the necessary steps to keep their guests safe. This includes the following four (4) things:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care – The company that owns the venue where the party was held owes all guests a duty of care. This means they are required to keep the party space clean and safe.
- They breached this duty – Your attorney will have to show that a dangerous condition existed in the venue.
- You were injured – It’s not enough to have an accident. You do need to show that you were hurt.
- The breach caused your injuries – The defendant may claim that something their party caused your injuries. This is why it’s important that you go to the hospital right away.
Your Houston Personal Injury Lawyer Will Demand Damages
Aside from the embarrassment of falling or getting hurt at a company party, you may suffer real damages.. You could hurt your back or head. You may break your wrist by trying to break your fall. Or, if a bottle breaks near you, there’s a chance you’ll suffer lacerations or facial disfigurement. The defendant needs to be held accountable for these sorts of things.
Some of the damages your personal injury lawyer in Houston will demand includes the following:
- Medical bills – You may have to leave the party in an ambulance. This means a trip to the emergency room. This can become very expensive very quickly.
- Lost Wages – Even though it’s the holidays, you may still end up missing a lot of time from work. The defendant is liable for any lost wages you suffer.
- Pain and Suffering – Any sort of party accident can cause serious pain and mental anguish. If this is the case, you need to demand these damages. You’d be surprised how much of your settlement may be made up of pain and suffering damages.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer if You’ve Been Injured at a Holiday Event
If you or your loved one are injured at a holiday event this season, call and talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer right away. You may have a claim against the company hosting the event. Or you may need to file a claim against their insurance company.
The last thing you want to do is deal with a dragged out court case. The good news is that your lawyer will try their best to settle your case. The only way to know for sure is to talk to an experienced personal injury lawyer. Call our office today and set up an appointment to meet with one of our expertly trained staff. The initial consultation is free so you don’t have to worry about paying anything upfront.
The venue owner is going to have a lawyer working for them. You don’t want to be at a disadvantage. Talk to our experienced injury law firm in Houston right away.