Top 5 Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Some of the most dangerous types of accidents are motorcycle accidents. This is because motorcycle riders have nothing standing between them and the road. Even in a minor accident, the rider can suffer pretty serious injuries. Also, because motorcycles tend to drive pretty fast, they are usually at a high rate of speed at the time of impact. This causes severe head and brain injuries in many of the victims.
Some of the reasons motorcycle accidents happen so frequently involve common sense. People who driver motorcycles do tend to be daredevils. They like to drive fast and they like to do it on major roads. Sometimes they don’t realize that they have to share the road with other drivers. This means following all the same traffic rules as the other drivers. Some motorcycle drivers forget this and just tend to enjoy the open road and the breeze in their hair.
Another issue is that car drivers tend to pay too little attention to motorcycles. A lot of them resent motorcycle drivers. They complain that bikers weave in and out of traffic and have no concern for their own safety or the safety of others. They complain that the bikes drive too fast and like to ride on the shoulder of the road.
Obviously, both car drivers and motorcycle riders are partially responsible for the accidents that take place every day. If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident, you need to contact a Houston personal injury attorney.
Your Houston Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Knows the Major Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
When it comes to determining who’s at fault in a motorcycle accident, it’s important to understand the major causes of motorcycle accidents. An experienced motorcycle accident lawyer in Houston knows what these causes are.
The 5 most common causes of motorcycle accidents are:
1) A car turns left in front of you
When a car is making a left turn, they are supposed to check for other drivers. People tend to look for other cars – they don’t always check for other motorcycles. Whether it’s because they’re distracted or just negligent, it happens. This is why motorcycle drivers need to be very careful when on the road. It’s a lot easier to prevent an accident than it is to prove that someone else caused the accident.
2) The bike turns a corner too fast
- Motorcycle riders do tend to drive fast. When they take a corner, they don’t always slow down enough. When they take that corner, they can lose control of the bike. This can cause an accident with another car or just for the rider. Other cars can’t anticipate that a bike will come speeding around a corner. Also, it’s hard for cars to see a motorcycle under the best of conditions. It’s even harder when that bike is careening around a corner.
3) Changing Lanes
- A lot of accidents happen when either the bike is changing lanes or the car in front of them changes lanes. It’s a lot harder for a motorcycle to slow down than it is a car. When a bike is going 65 mph, it’s hard for them to slow down when a car enters the lane in front of them. It’s important that riders pay attention to merging traffic and keep a safe distance behind the car in front of them.
4) Rear-end accidents
- A lot of motorcycle accidents are rear-ended accidents. Either the bike hits a car from behind or vice versa. Hopefully, these accidents aren’t too serious. However, depending on how fast the vehicles are going, the injuries can be quite severe.
5) Weaving in and out of traffic
- Whether it’s an unfair stereotype or not, a motorcycle does tend to weave in and out of traffic more than cars. This is because they can. Bikes are a lot smaller than cars. They are easier to maneuver in and out of traffic. However, this is one of the leading causes of motorcycle accidents.
Contact a Texas Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, you need to contact a Texas motorcycle accident attorney immediately. You are going to suffer some pretty serious injuries. It’s important that you focus on your physical health. Let your attorney handle the legal side of things.
Call McDonald Worley and schedule your free initial consultation today. You’ll get a chance to have an experienced motorcycle accident attorney review your case. He can let you know how strong it is. He can also let you know what it’s worth. And remember – you pay nothing unless you win your case.