Do I Need A Police Report After A Houston Car Crash?

When you are involved in a Houston car crash, there are several steps that you need to take. In order to comply with the law in Houston, you need to file a crash report. Not only does this help you to avoid a fine for not filing, but it can help your Houston personal injury attorney with your case.

A crash report in Houston is also known as form CR-2 or the “blue” form. This needs to be filed when there is a car accident where an injury occurs, or there is a death from the crash. You also need to file a crash report when there is property or vehicle damage in excess of $1,000.

Police Doesn’t Arrive at The Scene

These crash forms need filing when a police officer does not arrive at the scene of an accident. There are several instances when a police officer would not come out to your crash scene. If you are involved in a minor fender bender, a police officer may not feel the crash needs police enforcement on the scene or you may decide that you can handle the matter with another driver on your own.

In both instances, you are required by law in Houston to file a police report. If the police do arrive at the scene of your car accident, they will complete a crash report for you and the other driver. This will satisfy the requirement to complete and file a crash report with the state.

In order to complete a police report, you will need the information of both drivers involved in the accident as well as vehicle information, witnesses’ contact information, and weather and road conditions at the time of the accident.

Failure to file a crash report within 10 days of your car accident could result in a fine of up to $5,000 or imprisonment from the state. Forms need to be submitted to the Texas Department of Transportation.

It is highly recommended that you file a police report for every accident you are involved in no matter how minor they might be in your case. This can prevent any negative consequences, and it will provide your record of the accident should you need to take your case to court.

How Long Do I Have To File a Houston Car Accident Lawsuit?

In Houston, you have two years from the date of the car accident to file a personal injury case. These cases need to comply with the state’s statute of limitation laws. Filing your car accident lawsuit after the two-year deadline could result in the dismissal of your case.

Because there is a limited amount of time to file a car accident lawsuit where an injury occurred, you need to speak to your car wreck attorney in Houston, TX, as soon as possible about your case. Even if you are uncertain that another driver was at fault for your car crash, a Houston accident lawyer will investigate your claims and help you determine if you have a case.

Your Houston car accident lawyer will provide you with a consultation where you can discuss the details of your car crash case. Here, you can ask the questions that you have about your car accident. They will provide you the legal advice you are looking for, and they will help to win your case.

How Can a Car Accident Lawyer in Houston Help Me After a Car Crash?

After you are involved in a car accident, you need to speak with an accident lawyer in Houston. Your Houston car accident attorney will help you determine if you have a case against another driver. They will investigate your claims against a negligent driver and help you recover compensation for your injuries and property damages.

Your Houston accident attorney will build a strong case against a driver that caused your car crash. They will provide evidence that supports your claims and will represent you in court. You can count on your Houston car crash lawyer to fight for your legal rights. They can also answer all your legal questions and help you win your case in court. Let your car wreck lawyer in Houston, TX, fight for you.

Contact Your Car Wreck Lawyers in Houston Now

If you are involved in a car accident, you need a Houston accident lawyer on your side. The Houston auto wreck attorneys at McDonald Worley can help. They can advise you of your legal rights and will fight for compensation for your injuries and property damages. They know the law for car accidents and can win your case. Let the Houston car accident lawyers at McDonald Worley fight for you. Contact us today to set up a consultation. We are ready to assist you now.


Unless we win!

Primary Contact Form
Scroll to Top