Houston Car Accident Lawyers
Determining the common causes of semi-truck accidents can help you avoid a wreck on the road or learn how to respond in the event that a driver is exhibiting dangerous behavior.
The questions about who is legally responsible for your injuries will emerge immediately after being involved in an accident which is just one reason why it is so important to be aware of the common causes of semi-truck accidents.
While some accidents are truly unavoidable, in many cases the common causes of semi-truck accidents are due to issues that the driver, the truck manufacturer, or the trucking company should have been aware of.
The accidents tied to these preventable issues often form the basis of a personal injury or product liability lawsuit. What makes these legal claims so complex is that more than one party may be liable for the injuries sustained by accident victims. This requires an experienced personal injury attorney to help evaluate the claim and gather appropriate evidence to take legal action.
Reporting a driver’s dangerous activity to the company can help prevent these accidents and it may also keep you out of harm’s way. The size and weight of a semi-truck can make it extremely dangerous when it is involved with any other vehicle in an accident.
Common Causes of Semi-Truck Accidents to Be Aware Of
A number of characteristics, especially those dangerous ones exhibited by a driver contribute to the common causes of semi-truck accidents. Some of the most prevalent issues that can ultimately lead to severe injuries or fatalities for those involved in the wreck include:
- Compensation systems that encourage faster vehicle speeds
- Pressure from employers to deliver loads quickly or to drive on the road longer than necessary
- Use of paper logs that allow truck drivers to lie about the amount of time they’ve been on the road and how much rest they’ve had
- Inappropriate training with regard to safety concerns, driving technique and defensive driving abilities
- Unrealistic expectations and schedules with trucking companies
- Dangerous vehicle parts that have not received regular maintenance, putting the driver at greater risk of an accident
- Drowsy driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Distracted driving
Although there are broad range of rules and regulations that truck drivers and trucking companies are required to follow in order to decrease the number of devastating accidents on the road, these common causes of semi-truck accidents force many victims to pay the price in the form of serious injuries and life changing medical concerns.
If you’ve been involved in a semi-truck accident with a driver who engaged in one of these common causes of semi-truck accidents, contact an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible. If you have been hurt, the dedicated lawyers at McDonald Worley are here to help you with your legal claim.