December is here and it’s time to finish up your holiday shopping. That means you’re going to end up in the mall or a department store to buy gifts. Thousands of people flock to stores in Houston to buy last-minute gifts and stocking stuffers. With so many people in and out, some of these stores can get pretty messy. When you go into a store, especially as we get closer to the holidays, you’re going to see that employees can’t keep up with customer traffic. People spill things on the floor and employees don’t have time to clean it up. People drop items they aren’t going to buy and you can trip on them. Shelves could be falling down and you end up getting cut. Any number of things can happen that could cause you to slip and fall in the mall.
If you get hurt or fall at a Houston area mall, you may be entitled to damages.. It depends on whether or not the store was negligent. it also depends on whether or not you were actually injured. Call and speak with an experienced slip and fall lawyer in Houston. They’ll review your case and let you know if you may be entitled to damages.
Your Houston Injury Attorney Has to Prove Negligence
In order to have a successful claim against the mall or store owner, your Houston injury attorney will have to prove negligence. Essentially, your attorney needs to show that the people who manage the mall didn’t do what they should have to make sure their customers and guests were safe.
This means you have to prove negligence in your injury case. Your Houston personal injury attorney needs to show the following four (4) things:
- The defendant owed you a duty of care – This may be the easiest part of your case. Showing that the mall owes you a duty of care is simple. By inviting you into their stores, they promised to keep you healthy and safe.
- They breached this duty – If your attorney can show that a dangerous condition existed, that will constitute a breach of duty.
- You were injured – Most people who fall do get hurt.. Even if your injuries are minor, you probably won’t walk away without at least a few bumps and bruises.
- The breach caused your injuries – This is why it’s important to go to the hospital. They’ll do the tests necessary to show that you got hurt. If you don’t go, it’ll be your word against the defendants.
Your Houston Personal Injury Lawyer Will Demand Damages
If you fall and get hurt at a department store or mall, you should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer. It’s their job to prove your damages. However, just because you fell, doesn’t automatically mean you deserve damages. You have to prove your injuries.
Some of these damages will include the following:
- Medical bills – If you need medical care after your fall, the defendant must reimburse you for this care. Or, if your personal health insurance covered them, they need to be reimbursed.
- Lost Wages – Most people who suffer slip and fall injuries are out of work for at least a few days.. If it’s longer than that, however, you may be entitled to lost wages.
- Pain and Suffering – Hopefully, you aren’t in a lot of pain after the accident. But if you are, then your Houston injury attorney will demand you be compensated for it. This is known as pain and suffering and it can make up a lion’s share of your damages.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer if You Slip and Fall in the Mall
If you slip and fall in the mall or a department store, you may be able to file a personal injury claim.. The only way to know is to call and talk to a personal injury lawyer in Houston right away. They may be able to tell right away if you have a claim. Or they may need to do some research. Either way, they will let you know if you have a valid claim for damages.
The best thing to do is call immediately and set up a free consultation. You can sit down with a lawyer who knows how to help. Houston personal injury lawyers spend years – decades even – learning how to get their clients the compensation they deserve. This way, you can take the time necessary to recover from your injuries.