Houston Car Accident Lawyers
Most of us associate PTSD with people who were in the military. However, anyone who suffers a severe trauma is liable to develop PTSD. If this happens to you or your loved after any sort of accident, you may have a claim for PTSD, and may be entitled to damages.
Personal injury lawyers in Houston have had more than their fair share of clients suffering from PTSD. In fact, it happens more than you may think. Some of the accidents that could cause PTSD include:
- Car accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Construction accidents
- Any type of assault
If your loved one is suffering from PTSD as the result of any sort of accident, you need to call an experienced personal injury lawyer in Houston right away.
What is PTSD?
PTSD stands for post-traumatic stress disorder. It’s a condition that is caused or triggered by a traumatic event. As a result, the victim continues to think about the incident or is unable to live a normal life because of it.
Some of the symptoms of PTSD include:
- Disturbing thoughts
A lot of plaintiffs who are involved in a traumatic accident or fall may suffer from PTSD. Or, if they were involved in a car accident where they suffered serious burns, they may suffer from PTSD after the crash. Your Houston personal injury lawyer will demand compensation. PTSD is an injury just like any other. It’s just a lot harder to prove.
How Will Your Personal Injury Lawyer in Houston Prove PTSD?
Proving that you have PTSD can be very challenging for your personal injury lawyer in Houston. A lot of insurance adjusters and jurors are skeptical of PTSD. They figure, since there’s no way to prove you don’t have it, you better be able to prove that you do. Usually, the only way to accomplish this is by using experts and other medical professionals.
Typically, your lawyer will make sure a doctor has diagnosed you with the disorder. You can also submit other types of evidence to prove that you’ve been injured. This includes:
- Testimony by both you and your family that you have the symptoms of PTSD
- A video of you during an actual anxiety or panic attack
- Proof that you’ve scored high on the General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders
Keep in mind, even if you can prove you have PTSD, your personal injury attorney in Houston still has to prove your damages.
What Kind of Damages Will You Receive For Your Claim For PTSD?
If you are suffering PTSD as a result of your accident, your attorney will demand certain damages. The defendant should be responsible for any losses suffered as a result of their behavior. That’s why your personal injury attorney in Houston is going to demand the following damages:
- Medical bills and future medical bills – The person who caused your crash should have to pay any and all medical bills related to your injuries.
- Lost wages – For the first few weeks or months after your accident, you may not be able to work. If so, the defendant should have to cover these lost wages.
- Lost future earnings – If your PTSD is bad, you might not be able to work at all. This means you’ll probably lose future earnings. The defendant should be responsible for these losses.
- Pain and Suffering – A claim for PTSD is usually accompanied by a demand for pain and suffering. This is to compensate you for any physical and mental anguish caused by the accident. PTSD can cause people to not be able to enjoy life the way they used to. Many PTSD claims include a demand for a significant amount in pain and suffering.
Just remember, it’s your personal injury lawyer’s job to make you whole. It’s not their job to make you rich.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer For Help With Your Claim For PTSD
Some injuries are so severe that the accident victim never recovers. And even if they recover physically, they may not recover mentally. If this has happened to you or your loved one, call our personal injury law firm. You can set up a time to meet with one of our skilled injury lawyers in Houston. If you can’t come to us, we can arrange something that works for you.
PTSD is a very serious condition and it can impact your life forever. Take advantage of our free initial consultation and find out what your rights are. It could make all the difference in your life. You deserve justice and a skilled injury attorney can help you get just that.